Sunday, August 9, 2015

Puy Lentils with Caramelised Balsamic soaked Figs, Watercress and Walnuts

We are not great salad eaters. Yes we love our hot veggies and with our new veggie garden, 1/2 of which will be salad veggies, things have to change. With this in mind, I bought a new cook book, Community.  The author is Hetty McKinnon. What grabbed my attention was that most recipes are based on what I have in my pantry , fridge and garden.
As I looked through the book I was saying, that looks good and yes I can make that. And yes, that is TMX friendly.

Ingredients. For 3 large serves.

6 Turkish dried figs, sliced
150g Puy lentils, rinsed
2 cups of mixed salad greens, watercress or rocket or radish top, if you have it.
1 dessert spoon EVOO.
1 small clove of garlic, smashed.
50g feta
1/2 cup roasted Walnuts.
Caramelised Balsamic, enough to cover figs. (See previous recipe. )

Soak figs in Caramalised Balsamic, 3 hours or over night.
Place lentils in TMX basket and add 1 litre of water to bowl. Cook 30 minutes,/100/ speed 3.
Add lentils while still warm to figs. Add oil and garlic.
When ready to serve mix in salad leaves.
Arrange on platter and add feta and walnuts.

I served this with salmon, but would go nicely with any fish, chicken or meat.
Could add roasted pumpkin.
Puy lentils remain whole when cooked, unlike other lentils. 

No comments: