Monday, February 14, 2011

Fruit Loaf for Pipe Tin

Baked loaf



Dough rising in tin


No matter where I looked, I couldn't find a recipe that I liked to make a fruit loaf in my Pipe tin. In the end I put together several ideas, and have come up with a satisfactory result. I used as a base my Milk and Honey Bread and added fruit and spice to bring the weight up to and in fact, a little over 800g. I have been reading Dan Lepard's bread book, The Handmade Loaf. He recommends kneading every 10 mins. for 1/2 hour. That is 3 times. This is very easy in the TMX, as you leave the dough in the bowl and knead for 10 seconds, 3 times after the initial 1 min. mix and knead. Then leave in bowl to double. How easy is this.

460g white bread flour
2 teaspoons of dried instant yeast
300g milk
40g honey
100g mixed dried fruit and nuts. (I used apricots, sultanas, and walnuts.)
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
good pinch of nutmeg

Measure milk and honey into TMX bowl, and heat to boiling on 100, speed 1.
Leave in bowl to cool to 37 or just warm. (to hot and it will kill the yeast)
When the temperature drops to 70, add the fruit and spices.
When temperature is 37 or less, add flour and yeast and knead for 1 min.
Every 10 mins. following, knead for 10 seconds. Do this 3 times.
Place bowl in warm place and let rise until double. This will take longer than a white loaf.
When doubled, tip on to bench and roll into a size that will fit your tin.
Spray with water , fold top of tin over and place in warm spot for about 20 mins. Check to see that it is rising.
Spray again and close lid. Bake in a preheated oven 220o for 40 mins.
Remove from tin and put back in oven for 10 mins.


Some tins are not as large as mine, so reduce the mix and cooking time. Use the white loaf measurements as a guide. Also the cooking times.

If you like larger lumps of fruit visible in your loaf, add the fruit and spice mix after the 1 min knead.

This could also be cooked in a bread tin.

2 comments:

Gift Boxes said...

Gorgeous Fruit Bread. I do like mine chunky too. Have been over to Thermomix, looks like I 'need' another appliance for the kitchen!

Tenina said...

I am so trying this…bought a tin a while ago and still havent used it…thanks! :)