Thursday, December 31, 2020

Savoury Pizzelli

 



I notice that over the Christmas period, and after, that the sweet Pizellis were very popular.  I think that wth all the rich food that a light crisp wafer was often enough to have with coffee or tea. I made 3 lots during this period.  

When my daughter asked me to make some dips for a celebratory dinner, I thought, why not savoury Pizzellies to go with them.  Hence an experiment that resulted in a crisp, light and versatile cracker. 

Of course not everyone has an electric Pizzelli machine.  I experimented with a flat sandwich press with some success.  They were not as crisp but could be heated in an Air Fryer , toaster or a dry frying pan to crisp up. 

Following are 2 very different recipes, one based on Sour Dough and the other flour, oil and wine or  Verjuice. 

Both equally good. 

The plain ones are based on tinastable.com and converted to TMX. 

The Sour Dough ones use Sour Dough starter, with white or rye. 

(1) plain Pizzellies, based on Tinas recipe and adapted to TMX.

INGREDIENTS 

200mls dry white wine, or Verjuice

80 mls extra virgin olive oil. ( I used chilli flavoured oil)

220g flour, ( I used Bread flour)

1 teaspoon salt. 

METHOD

Place all ingredients into TMX bowl and mix, speed 4/20 seconds.  Scrape down and mix again, speed 4 / 10 seconds. 

Pour into a jug. 

Cook in Oiled ( just for the first one) Pizzelli machine 




                               Or

Heat a flat sandwich press, place a silicone sheet on base of press and place small dessert spoons of dough on silicone. I did 4 at a time. 

Cover with another sheet of silicone and close press.

Mine took 1 minute an 20 seconds. YOU WILL NEED TO TEST YOUR MACHINE.

Cool on cake rack. 


(2) Sour Dough based Pizzellies

These were very experimental and I encourage you to do the same.  None were a disaster and all tasty. 

You need a fairly stiff mix. Like a thick pancake batter. 

Place 1/2 cup measures in several bowls, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sugar. 

Add to these flavours that you fancy. I added ground ginger to one, curry powder and Tabasco to another and left one plain. They can take strong flavours so go for what you like. 

I also experimented with adding Buckwheat flour an a little water to the SD batter. Worked well. 

Notes

Foil or baking paper may work instead of silicone.

Friend tried SD method on ridged sandwich press, well oiled.  





No comments: