Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ciabatta

This Ciabatta is made with Sour Dough starter.
Each time we visit Hobart , I find a reason to eat at Smolt. The food is always very good but the Ciabatta they serve with olive oil and Balsamic dip is outstanding.  I think this is the reason that I have not made Ciabatta before.  With just an ordinary domestic oven , how could I make anything so good.!
While looking at some Blogs,  I came across "Fig Jam and Lime Cordial".  How on earth have I missed this wonderful site with a true Bread Tragic .
After spending a morning drooling over Celia's recipes I decided to give her Ciabatta a go.  I have converted the process to TMX and made slight changes.  I made a 1/2 recipe .That is 2 Ciabatta.

Ingredients
150g Sour Dough starter
335 mls  iced water
250g fine Semolina
250g white bread flour
9g salt.

In TMX bowl add all ingredients and knead for 1 minute
Leave in bowl and after 1 hour ,  knead again for 1 minute
Leave in bowl and Knead again for 1 minute.
Remove the dough to a well oiled bowl,( it will be very sticky) cover  with plastic wrap and allow to prove until double. depending on weather this will take between 6 to 8 hours.

Heat oven to 220 FF degrees. Place heavy baking tray or pizza stone into oven to heat.

When double tip onto a well floured mat, I used Semolina.  Fold top 1/3 over and then bottom 1/3 over first fold.  You may have to use a plastic scraper and well floured hands.
Cut in 1/2.
With aid of large plastic scraper lift dough onto well floured baking paper. Stretch it out a little along ways.
( This will be slid on to tray in oven. ) Do the same with second piece.
Slide into oven and bake for 25 minutes Turning tray at 10 minutes.Pull out Baking paper.
Lower temperature to 175 degrees and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove and cool on rack.


The crust and texture are perfect but I would have liked the crust browner.  The next ones I baked were browner. !

No comments: